This course is the full PADI open water diver course (knowledge development, pool work & open water dives) where you will learn and be tested on all the skills an open water diver needs to keep themselves and their buddy safe whilst having the freedom to explore without the need of proffessional assistance. PADI courses are performance based and some students may need more time to complete the entire course.
At the end of your Open Water Course you will recieve a divers I.D card that certifies that you have the skills to dive safely anywhere in the world to a maximum depth of 18m subject to age. (Juniors have specific limits so please check with us if you are unsure)
Diving in UK waters can be slightly more challenging than other more tropical regions. Completing your dives in the UK will definitely allow you to gain a higher level of training and competence.
The first step is to complete the PADI Pre-Study (Knowledge Development) by either completing PADI's E-Learning for Windows PC's or Touch Learning for Tablet style devices which is included in the cost of the course. This should take approximately 12 hours to complete. Once this is completed you bring the certificate with you to the course where you will review the knowledge and learn all the required skills in our purpose built heated training pool. After you have completed the pool skills you can then do the four Open Water Qualifying dives. This is the final step to becoming a qualified Open Water Diver which takes place in a dedicated diver training lake. All our Open Water Dives are conducted in Drysuits. Drysuits have water tight neck and wrist seals which stop water entering the suit. A thermal base-layer ensures you stay nice and warm, even in the cooler winter months! All divers wearing a Drysuit for their training will need to attend a pool session called an orientation which must be done before diving in open water, this can be done at the end of your pool session if previously agreed or at our training facility on the Friday evening before your Open Water Dives.
don't be cold... Be comfortable! The only dive school in the UK that has dry glove systems on all of its school equipment.
- (Our Own Heated Pool) Gatwick Scuba's training facility is in Lingfield, Surrey.(Off junction 6, M25 and connected to London via trains hourly)
- (Open Water Quailfying Dive sites) Wraysbury Dive Lake, Near Heathrow (Off Junction 13 of the M25) or
- Vobster Quay in Wiltshire.(Near Bath)
- Full Tuition by PADI Elite Instructors or PADI Course Directors
- Full Equipment Package
- All students are required to complete PADI's E-Learning system which now runs on all Style of Devices.
- Minimum age 12 (special arrangements available for 10 & 11 year olds)
- Must be able to Swim 200m and tread water or float for 10 minutes Comfortably.
- Complete all the pre study requirements including the final exam at home in your own time via PADI's course materials prior to attending the pool session for 1 Day courses and each relevant section for evening courses. I.E Intro & Section 1 before Pool Dive 1, Section 2 before Pool Dive 2 and so on.
- Before booking your course. Please print out and complete the 3 PADI forms highlighted below in blue which includes a medical questionnaire. If you answer YES to any question on the Medical Form please follow the forms instructions incase a Doctor's signature is required on page 3, this must be done before we can do any inwater activities. Failure to do this will result in you being sent away until the form has been signed.
- Medical Form, General Training, Statement of Safe Diving Practices.
Course Options, Costs & Additional Costs
- Full Open Water Course. PADI learning materials, one full day or 5 evening sessions from 19:00-21:00 at the pool and two full days for the Open Water Qualifying Dives over one weekend.
- Free Offical PADI log book worth £15.00.
- Admission to dive site extra – (Wraysbury £15.00 per day per person or Vobster £23.00 per day per person)
- Air extra for Open Water Dives £20.00 per person payable at Wraysbury or Vobster on the Saturday of the Open Water Dives.
- Accommodation and transport are not included.
- We reserve the right to conduct the dives in semi-dry wetsuits, should we not have your particular size available in a Drysuit. If using a Dry Suit, a confined water (normally pool) orientation session is required. These take place at our pool either at the end of the pool sessions by prior arrangement or on the Friday before your Open Water Dives at Wraysbury or Thursday Evenings before your Open Water Dives at Vobster Quay.
The Cost Of The Course Includes Study Materials and Full Equipment Hire
Special End of Season Price £403.00
Normal Price £455.00
- Given that all Gatwick Scuba students are taught to use a Drysuit as part of their Open Water Course our students are given the option to upgrade their course and get the full Drysuit Diver Qualification at the same time. This costs an additional £100.00 saving £50.00 over doing the Drysuit course seperatly. The cost includes the PADI E-Learning and certification fee's. This can only be booked and paid for on weekend once you have passed the Open Water Qualifying Dives.